but no. I'm not feeling inspired to write about that.
I want to write about celebrating insanely talented people. And teaching your kids to brush their teeth.
Every once in a while I hear about someone I went to high school or college with who is now doing incredible things to save the world or is getting widespread recognition for their creative genius and artistic talents.
This usually makes me feel a series of things.
1. proud--"I KNOW that person!" (Okay, really, I once had a class with them or they lived in the dorm next to me and I talked with them every so often)
then...
2. jealous--How amazing would it be to have talent and drive oozing out of ones pores like that? I will never be that person, but I sure wish I had it in me.
finally...
3. appreciation--I'm so glad people share their talents.... put the image to a paper with a brush or snap that photo at just the right time. Take the time to go through the steps of something to accomplish an end product that makes others laugh, cry, dance... or just think. It is this appreciation that leads me to say, "God, thanks for making that person such a dreamer that they actually thought they could accomplish their goals--and they did." Cause I'm really enjoying their hard work!
So with that I turn to "teach me how to brushy."
As a parent who daily goes to battle to teach her 2 year old to brush his teeth, I am willing to try just about any shenannigans to get him to brush. The latest has been singing the tooth brushing song I learned as a kid: "When you wake up in the morning and it's a quarter to 1 and you want to have a little fun.. you brush your teeth." and on and on...
But now I have a new song, thanks to a fellow Trinity Western University alum, Jesse Rosten (a very talented individual who was totally just an acquaintance at college). Well, actually, he isn't responsible for the song, just the movie featuring the best public service announcement I've seen in a long time.
He has several more moving short films on his website, but I ran across this one yesterday and it just made me happy. It combined my secret love of hip hop, my known love of kids dancing, and my excitement over gaining new parenting insights.
Plus it gave me a new song to sing with Will at night.
So I hope you get a good laugh imagining Will and I getting brushy.
Enjoy
No comments:
Post a Comment