Thursday, September 6, 2007

Have you heard of this?



I just started exploring this website today... and I'm intrigued. They give people the opportunity to contribute towards microloans to individuals who live across the globe who are trying to grow or begin a business. So you can lend as little as $25 towards a woman in Kenya starting up a firewood business or to a man in Honduras who runs a produce stand. Gradually they repay your loan and you can get your money back or reinvest it into someone else. My first impression was skepticism, but I am really impressed with the companies and people who support, volunteer and work for Kiva. I think the concept is the best spin off of today's social networking fad that I've seen (not that I'm all that hip with social networking sites).

I haven't given any money yet... but I'm going to keep reading up on it. I like what they are doing. What do you think?

3 comments:

Jairzinho and Terra said...

It certainly appears to be a sustainable and useful investment...thanks for the link.

Jacquie said...

Krista,

THis is Jacquie (Cousin from Lance's side...). I just wanted to let you know that this is a great way to invest your money. I know of this organization and they are legit. This is a pretty new concept and it's called "micro-financing," try googling it. It is a new business tool that helps people (mostly women) in impoverished situations to be able to generate their own income. This is an incredible solution to other much more horrendous options, such as the mothers having to relocate to more affluent areas and send the money to their children. If you want to know my opinion on the issue, this is the next big thing in the way of philanthropy.

Krista said...

Jacquie--thanks for the info. I'm really amazed at how this sort of thing is catching on.