
My little brother turned 21 on the 20th of October right before jumping on a plane to Kenya for 6 weeks. I am excited for his adventure and for his opportunity to have an experience that is uniquely his, something I can't begin to understand or wrap my mind around. Our election has added an interesting twist to things for him. Here are two emails... one from him to me last week and one that my parents sent out this morning.
sweet sister
thank you for writing me.
I have been here only nine days and already it feels like a month.
Yes, I am tired...but for the first time in my life I feel God's
presence... and it is energizing. I sleep at the orphanage. Every night I sing, dance, color, play with the kids. I am already growing very attached to them and them to me. I want to bring a few of them home and give them a better life...but I know I can't. The effect of AIDS here is haunting. I walked through a slum yesterday
and wow... it was riveting.
the people here are very friendly. almost all of them say hello to me
or smile back. the villagers love it when I walk around with the
guitar and I think i've played Bob Marly's redemption song 200 times
already.
EVERYONE loves Obama. they ask me who I voted for and cheer when I answer. His grandparents were originally from about ten miles from the orphanage.
I think it's great that I'm going to be in Kenya when they announce
the winner. I really hope Obama wins, because there will be an all
nighter if he does... if he doesn't, then I'm staying inside. the people here love to riot.
well... forward this email to mom and dad if you will. I haven't gotten a good
chance to write them.
with love
-John
Friends,
Today is an important day for us all as Americans as we vote in an election that will usher in the first African-American as President, or female as Vice President. This election aslo is being watched closely by the world and will have a dramatic impact on American relations. Today Susan and I are more aware of this than ever.
Our son John is serving in an orphanage in the town of Dunga, Kenya, an area that has seen much tension and violence in the last year. Just a few miles away live the relatives of Barack Obama. We have been receiving reports that the community is "electric and on edge" and that either way the election rolls, there is a high probability of rioting. John and a few other American friends from here in Anacortes are relocating to "a more secure location" and preparing to stay out of the mix until the tension subsides. Depending on what happens in the next day, John and our good friend Dave Crumbo will decide whether or not it is safe to stay in the area.
Would you pray throughout the next few days for their safety, for the mingling of Spirit driven wisdom and common sense, and for them to be aware of God's presence and power in each situation.
Thanks friends...
Rusty Van Deusen
2 comments:
it sounds like John is having an amazing time Krista! I will be praying for him.
love you and miss you!
Hi Krista
I know how much you love John, and wanted to let you know how much he blessed me while we were in Kenya together. He stayed with us a couple of days during the election process and to wake up to him playing and singing worship music was such a transformation, I literally lost it. It was also so cool to see him loving on the kids, and to see him grow almost before my eyes. Good stuff.
Stay blessed.
Dave Crumbo
Post a Comment