Down the street from our house there is an art gallery called GATHER that has been open less than a year. Till last week I thought their exhibits had been ho hum. I went to see their "One Hundred Dresses" exhibit this past week and I was awe struck.
I wish anyone with a little girl could have seen it... here is a little snippet from a Seattle Times article about the exhibit...
Los Angeles artist Kumiko Ishida's daughter Sanae Ishida, a Seattle graphic artist, had a daughter in 2006 and named her after her grandmother. Grandmother Kumiko began salvaging textiles and recycling them into exquisite miniature dresses for her little namesake. As she stitched one dress after another — each unique and delicately inventive — her creativity got away from her. Before she knew it, she'd pieced together hundreds of little dresses, many outgrown by her granddaughter before they were ever worn. What to do?
The two women came to Jones with the idea of giving 100 of them away to charity. After brainstorming, they came up with a better plan: Why not auction them and give the money to a good cause? Proceeds, they decided, will go to the Boys & Girls Club on Martin Luther King Way and the Food Bank on Rainier Avenue South. Any dresses that aren't sold (which I can't imagine) will be given to a charity for needy children.
Originally from Tokyo, Kumiko practiced art in Germany and New York before moving to Los Angeles. In addition to her very prolific sewing, she paints and gardens every day.
It was kind of magical standing before a wall of 100 dresses, each one unique, yet held together in shape and size.
It was beautiful to me.
You can still see the dresses here.
No comments:
Post a Comment