Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The hunger games

I forgot to mention the other item that consumed Lance and I this past week:



The Hunger Games Series.

Officially, a Young Adult read, but truly a great adventure story for anyone (actually, I need to revise that... I'd say 13 and above).

It has violence and suspense, with just the right amount of romance.

A great female protagonist--gotta love a good book with a tough girl main character.

This book originally came recommended to me by a 5th grader. Then I started hearing about it from adults.

Kids and adults like it?? I decided I had better give it a whirl.

I brought the book to read out-loud to Lance on our drive to and from Oregon last weekend. He was a little apprehensive when I told him it was young adult fiction, but it only took about 15 minutes of reading for me to realize he was hooked. When we arrived home from our Oregon weekend trip, I had to go to straight to work.

Lance informed me he couldn't wait for me to keep reading. I'd have to catch up later.

So we read the first book. Then the second. In one week.

Lance asked me to get the third book last Sunday, but I didn't have time. So when I got home from work, Lance told me he had downloaded the book from online. Now this got me worried, because some of you might remember the last time Lance tried this. Let me just say, it went poorly.

Lance promised me that the 3rd book online was the real one. I asked him how he knew and he said it looked legit and didn't sound weird. hmm... not a convincing argument, but I guess I'll believe him. Meanwhile, I'm holding out for the hard copy. Maybe... the "3rd book" is hard to ignore when it is sitting on your desktop.

1 comment:

Christen said...

I'm taking a YA lit class right now, and it's so much better than "real" lit! I'll add this series to my list for Christmas break.