Last week I drove down Main Street in our town and was greeted with this sign:
I had to do a double take.
Celebrate what? Yes. It says "electricity."
And the small print on the right says "since 1940."
I don't really know what to say about this other than AMEN. I would like to give a standing ovation to my electricity. For real. Cause I have taken it for granted and I am ashamed.
This is my small town.
Other towns are celebrating things like Breast Cancer Awareness or even Autumn or Halloween.
Here we're tipping our hats to something that impacts all people. Electricity.
I kind of doubt I'm gonna see a sign in February for Black history month.
But then again, my town seems to be full of surprises.
When I saw this I really felt like I was driving on the set of "Parks and Recreation" and at any moment Amy Poehler might come out of City Hall in a power suit.
4 comments:
HA! Otis and I commented on that sign as we drove into town last Sunday to see you guys. Ohhh Monmouth...
Have been thinking about you today and wishing you were here so you could come see Mackelmore tonight with us! We had 2 extra tix and I kept suggesting we invited you guys :)
hehehe
kah-rista!
mamma!
i wouldn't particularly have much to say about your town's festival of electricity, but since we have been in Uganda the power has gone out once or twice a day, including 5 minutes ago.....so i celebrate electricity for you and for all! hehe. i miss you guys and will be in touch.
loves.
Kate! I thought of you as I was writing this--and thought how "privileged North American" of me to write this. :)
Ah, alas I will be REALLY thankful now.
Love you guys.
Post a Comment