Thursday, November 15, 2012

I don't have a TV, but that doesn't really matter, cause all the TV I could want to watch is available for free online. 

And I'm experiencing the downward spiral of getting sucked into watching shows for which at points throughout the week I actually begin to miss the  people characters in the shows.

Like I think they are my friends.

It is troubling.

So it was with great relief that I cracked open a book this week that held my attention to such a degree that I passed up watching a show. 


From the author who created The Invention of Hugo Cabret, another beautiful way to spend a few hours.

I realize it is a book written to hmmm... 4th graders. But it was just what I needed. 

Plus, I'm kind of a sucker for stories of people's lives. The kind of stories that might be true (I said "might"). 

So if you need a break from the blackhole of Fall shows, check out this book from the library. Cheaper than a movie and more relaxing cause you can enjoy it on your couch lying on your back. 

And if you are more of a fantasy book sort of person. Look for:


It too held my attention, although the tale is a bit more difficult to get through cause of all its wild twists and turns (and children's fantasy is not my favorite genre).

Initially I read it because it was written by an alumni of my college. I have this terrible habit of mulling over how successful other Trinity Western Alumni are and beating myself up for the very little I have to show for myself and my college education. This is one reason I am not on Facebook. My psyche couldn't handle it. 

But bottom line--Peter Nimble is a wonderful imaginative tale I hope to read with my boys someday. 

If I wrote it, I would think I was pretty brilliant. 

So there--I offer you two escapes from Network hell. 

Try em, I think you'll be happy you did. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

#1) i also am slightly troubled by the degree to which i develop "friendships" with fictional characters (though for some reason it seems so much more acceptable with books)

#2) i asked for Wonderstruck last Christmas and LOVED it...so glad to hear you like it too

#3) i'm definitely adding PN&HFE to this year's wishlist, though if you don't mind sharing...i'd love to borrow yours and send it back when i'm done?

#4) i love you guys!