
I'm not sure if you've read the children's book "Make Way for Ducklings", but it is a fantastic book about a mother duck who leads her babies through the middle of a small town (traffic and all) to reach their new home at the city park. Well, I was driving to work a couple days ago when I saw something in my lane ahead. I started to slow down (the speed limit was 40 mph). As I slowed down I realized it was a mother duck leading a line of about 15 little ducklings following her close behind. They're venturing into my lane, which was the first of a 4 lane road... and they were right in the middle of my lane! To make matters worse, they were crossing right before a light which was green, so the cars in the other lane were whizzing past me wondering why in the world I was stopping in front of a green light. I came to a complete stop about 10 feet in front of where they stood. They were still crossing the street and I started to feel sick with the thought of what might happen if they passed to the next lane... so I did the only thing I could think to do--I honked my horn! I honked and honked... and honked, until the Mama duck looked so frustrated and annoyed that she turned her little troop around and started back towards the sidewalk. I was so relieved! I drove around them as the last little duckling jumped up onto the sidewalk safe. I can't be sure that they didn't just go again, but none the less I didn't have to witness a tragedy. It was much too close for comfort for me!!
1 comment:
This makes me smile! I know the book - only have read it once. But how cute. Good mom - that mother duck was - to turn around!
Post a Comment