Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Family Vacation






It has been a month since I went to Topsail Island, NC with the Van Deusen side of my family. As always, it was a great time of catching up with my cousins, aunts and uncles. Squashed in between catching up I played in the waves, cooked and enjoyed delicious food while hearing stories about my grandma Peggy from Poppy. We laughed a lot, cried a little, danced, sang and barely left any time to sleep.

So my very favorite thing about my Dad's siblings is that they sing and dance all the time. There are few things I enjoy more than sitting, staring at ocean waves, listening to my brother, uncles, aunts and cousin sing and play guitar/mandolin. I have a couple videos of us singing, but I'm having trouble posting them. Maybe in the future I'll get it to work. For now, here are some highlights of my time.

Going through the list of family inside jokes (we all contributed) that my Aunt Linda printed on the back of our official family reunion t-shirt. Yes, I have a family reunion t-shirt. It was really wonderful using the list as a launching pad for hearing stories of when my dad was growing up and stories from all the different families.

Slicing, stirring, chopping and chomping... I love making dinner at the beach. Usually there would be 4-5 of us in the kitchen, working together to make dinner for 25 people happen. Singing, being silly and using our fine tuned kitchen choreography; we made some awesome dinners.

I loved sneaking away for walks with my cousin Stephanie.

Making a music video--yes, we all participated. We recorded ourselves singing "All Star" from Shrek and then made a video. Someday I'll get a copy. It was utter chaos... and beautiful at the same time. It was a reminder of how truly unique my family is.

The 3rd picture is from the making of the video. Notice my uncle John in the very back posing in the 4th picture--that is so classic. And the last one is us all.






No comments: