Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Julie and Julia


I've been running around all day and finally settled in to finish wrapping my family's presents (we're celebrating our Christmas on Friday). A no brainer movie sounded like a good reward for myself. I picked up Julie & Julia, thinking it would be a safe movie to that Lance would appreciate not having to endure. I should have already read the book (which I heard is good), but I'm skipping straight to the movie on this one.

I enjoyed every bit of it--and was surprised that it seems to me to be not so much about food or life, but about a couple great men. The 2 husbands in the movie were so incredibly patient and supportive of their headstrong wives. I couldn't help but fall in love with them both. I love movies that portray husbands and wives and truly in love--serving and encouraging each other. What a treat to watch. It made me want to transport Lance home from work and plant a big kiss on his face.

If you haven't seen it yet--and you have probably have, I definitely give it a thumbs up for a rainy afternoon or a girls night in.

But then the reality check... I look up the real Julie Powell online, whose autobiographical book the movie is partially based upon, to find out she has just published a second book about butchering meat and its similarities with a past affair of hers on her marriage. Whoa Daddy! That was not the encore I was hoping for. I guess it is real life for some--makes me want to get that kiss on Lance's cheek asap.

I'm just going to go back to thinking on the movie characters in Julie & Julia, and pretend that she and her husband are as real and loving as in the movie. And tonight I'm toasting to an amazing husband, who I love SO much.

2 comments:

Kim Talmage said...

Well put, my dear!

Anonymous said...

my mom and i just watched it yesterday. we completely agree that the centering power of the movie is with the men. but then again, who can resist how brilliant meryl streep is in this role? but yeah, i take your stance and focus on the good! :)