Monday, May 31, 2010

Due for what?




Last Thursday, May 27th, Lance and I looked at each other and said, "happy due date!" I realized the only thing in our house we were due for was a shower, a diaper change and probably more sleep.


It is all beginning to feel a bit more real. We are coming back to our new normal... and it is a good thing. When contractions started on 1pm on May 15th, neither of us thought that it could possibly be the real thing. My last shift at work before maternity leave was the next day! I hadn't had my "rest" time before labor--I hadn't had a chance to nest at home (I'd been doing a lot of nesting at work).

But, after 8 hours of steady contractions, the midwife told us she didn't think they were going to stop and Lance and I were forced to begin thinking about having a baby. We still hadn't even called or emailed our family to tell them... I still hadn't gotten my shift for work covered (I promptly made that call). John and Annababe were even over to hang out and spend the night--they got very little sleep till we kicked them out at 7 in the morning as things got "serious".

None the less, when we talked to Tracy, our midwife in the morning, she said we'd see a baby sometime in the near future.

Kelly changed her flight at 5am Sunday morning, and she and my nephew, Myles, arrived in Seattle at 1pm... just as the midwives were setting up shop and I was jumping in the labor tub.

7 hours later, at 8:40pm, Will had arrived... and I was in total shock. I don't think I really thought there was a baby at the end of this rainbow.

But he was there in my arms--BIG too! At least much bigger than myself or my midwives guessed.

Since then, we've been just trying to wrap our minds around this new adventure. Lance has been amazing--taking incredible care of me. Our families have been wonderful--feeding, laundering, listening and loving us.

Squeezing in naps, reading "three Cups of tea" with Lance out loud, and drinking some coffee have made me feel a bit more like myself. It is combining these things with this new joy that is my new normal that I've decided to embrace.

More pictures to follow...

10 comments:

Julianne said...

Congrats Krista. What an adorable little boy! I'm 37 weeks with my twins and they should be arriving any day, then I'll also have a new "normal" to embrace. All the best to you and Lance! (P.S. My birthday is May 16th! :)

Unknown said...

Krista, thanks for sharing more photos and you're story. LOVE to you and Lance

Colie said...

i love the pictures and the update! miss you all!
cole:-)

Christen said...

Yay for pictures! I love him already.

Mandy McKinstry said...

Krista - Congratulations! Motherhood is such an amazing experience and wouldn't be the same without those first few months!)

(I happened upon your blog when you were pregnant and thought I'd check back to see how things were going. Will is beautiful!)

Mandy (Johnson) McKinstry

Jairzinho and Terra said...

Oh wowzers Krista. Will is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your experience. I am so glad that I took off work super early. I'm due in 2 weeks and I've already been off a month - so my nest is very ready :) Everyday I wonder when this "Beanie" (as we call our baby) will decide to make his/her move into the outside world. I look forward to hearing more of your experience.

Terra

Lauren said...

So great to read about your story of Will's arrival and your subsequently quick adjustment to motherhood! And those pictures . . . he is so gorgeous -- love the cheeks! Much love to you, Momma. Say hi to Lance and congrats to him too. I love that he's caring well for you! Great job.

Loni said...

KRIS!!! Will is ADORABLE! Been waiting to call so I don't disturb the establishing a routine process :) I've been thinking about you all a TON. Would love to come and visit when things settle in. Let's talk soon!

Krista said...

Thanks for all the encouragement! Makes wonder how you are doing and wish I could get some parenting/life advice.

Mandy and Jullianne, email me sometime so we can connect. I'd love to hear more about how you are doing. kristahoffman at gmail.

Anonymous said...

I'm totally in shock...about your being in shock...Will is cool...happy birthday sweet gal.