Tuesday, June 5, 2012

"reading Bible mama?"

That is what Will said to me when he found me at the kitchen table this morning. 

nope. Not the Bible, son. 

I had to chuckle, though. 

I like to sneak out of bed before Lance or Will, make coffee, and steal a few minutes to journal and read my Bible or another spiritually stimulating book in the morning. 

But today I needed to read Mindy Kaling's new book, cause it is due back at the library today and I didn't want to return it unread. 

It is exactly as you'd expect--perfect bathroom reading (bathtub, toilet, whatever you like). 

I kind of admire a book that isn't ashamed to be just that, while still offering teeny tiny moments of things to chew on. I appreciated her references and thoughts on her totally boring teenage years, growing up as the daughter of immigrant parents, and friendship.

She also has a page or two on marriage in the back that made me happy. It is a call to married folks who actually like it to start making some noise, so the institution of marriage doesn't look like such a drag to those still considering it.

Goodness, maybe the book was spiritually stimulating and I didn't even realize it. 


4 comments:

Bao said...

Thank you for your review on this book. Now I don't have to read it.

"...a call to married folks who actually like it to start making some noise, so the institution of marriage doesn't look like such a drag to those still considering it." I love that! I am going to start making some noise!

Also, I wished Will a happy birthday but not sure I wished you guys a happy anniversary. Looks like you had some fun despite the lack of well-wishing from me. You guys! In PDX! *sigh*

Krista said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Krista said...

Bao! I totally said to Lance yesterday, "I know Bao doesn't read books, but I think she could read this one and enjoy it. The chapters are only like 3 pages long each and sometimes it is just a bullet pointed list or something like that."

:)
Miss you, friend!

Rachel said...

This is on my summer light reading list :) Good reminder!