Sunday, June 3, 2012

Portland

We ate our way through Portland yesterday...

It was our small way of celebrating nine years together and making it through our move.

We mapped out the restaurants we'd hit from our kitchen table the night before.

First stop: Pine State Biscuits 
Verdict: It did not disappoint. The fried green tomatoes made me smile from ear-to-ear. The biscuits are good, but the fried chicken on the biscuit--oh, I was glad to be an omnivore. Bonus--they sell Cheerwine and good sweet tea.

collards, fried green tomatoes, and the Reggie (biscuit, fried chicken, bacon, cheese, and gravy)



Next Stop: Voodoo Doughnuts
Verdict: Just a hyped up doughnut shop. We waited 30 minutes in line only to get up and feel totally overwhelmed because there is a crappy display of doughnuts that look like a kindergartner made them. They're famous for having crazy doughnuts--they top them with fruit loops and captain crunch and stuff. After standing there looking at their options, I realized I am a purist when it comes to doughnuts. I just wanted a nice, clean Top Pot chocolate old fashioned. I didn't need a salesgirl with a pink mohawk and fishnets to make my doughnut cooler. And I definitely didn't need crappy sugar cereal to top mine.

I ordered an apple fritter and it was good. But for sure not worth a 30 minute wait. (picture below)

the insane Disneyland like line for Voodoo Doughnuts

Next Stop: Nicholas Restaurant 
Verdict: Great food. Awesome customer service---wish I had room to fit way more in. Although we've eaten Middle Eastern food before, it was our first time at a true Lebanese restaurant. Delicious--so fresh and filling. Our favorite part of the experience was the date juice, though. Nothing like you'd imagine.

After that we ended up at Migration Brewing Company to watch the basketball game. Nothing flashy, just some chips and salsa and a good brown ale. 

Can you spot the man dancing with a monkey mask on?

All I can say is--Portland doesn't need any help staying weird.

Oh, and I promise we didn't go from one place straight to the next... we weren't THAT hungry.

4 comments:

Joni said...

We totally agree about Voodoo Donuts being majorly over-rated! Although we did recently watch a documentary on roller derby which explained the scoring via voodoo donuts which was pretty entertaining. Ohh Portland!

Amy said...

This post makes me miss you so much! I love how much you appreciate good food, especially bacon :) this sounds like my kind of day. If you could have finished out the day with a Blondie or piece of whiskey cake that would have been just right :)

Rachel said...

I'm so glad you are blogging! Just feel like I got a little caught up on your life in Oregon now. And good travel tips for Portland. On the calendar to get there this year! XO

Sara (Smith) Nickel said...

VooDoo is best when brought to work by a co-worker as a surprise. :)
Next you might try Mother's Bistro and Besaw's if you haven't yet.