I watched 2 movies this past week...
First was the Dixie Chicks: Shut Up & Sing. I thought it was a well made documentary. I didn't feel manipulated into taking their side. It was actually pretty clear throughout the movie how ridiculous society is and how some people (specifically very conservative and rigid Christians) get their panties in a bundle about small things. I am embarrassed that people reacted to the comment, "I am embarrassed that the President is from the state of Texas" like it was the worst thing ever spoken. As if those individuals who protested, picketed, boycotted, and sent them death threats haven't spoken harshly to their own children or family, or spoken poorly of a neighbor. It is unbelievable to me that people can hold such a strong standard for others, yet not look at themselves.
I like the Dixie Chicks' music. I respect them as musicians and love the fact that they actually write their own music. I learned from the film that they have sold more albums in history that an other female band. It was interesting to see them as real people, real women specifically, throughout the movie. They touch on motherhood, infertility, friendship, fear and balancing life and work--topics that I'm interested in hearing about. They also demonstrate what good friends must do when one person does something without thinking (in this case, opens their mouth without speaking). Forgiveness and understanding had to happen. Support and sticking with each other, defending one another was necessary. We can all learn from that picture of grace demonstrated. I'd definitely suggest the movie to anyone who is interested in the evolution of right wing America, free speech matters, or to someone interested in learning about friendship. You have to be ok with the "f" word though, as Natalie uses it quite a bit.
The second movie I saw was Blood Diamond. Violent film. Good story... hard to swallow. I still can't quite grasp the concept that their are and have been child soldiers trained across the world. I know it isn't a new phenomenon. I just can't understand it. Watching Blood Diamond was another reminder that we as North Americans have the privilege of obtaining material things without ever thinking about where it came from or who worked to get it so we could enjoy it. It is a good reminder that most of the things I wear, much of what I eat, and many of the things I enjoy... have made it to my home because of the sacrifice other people across the globe made. I want to eat food from local farms. I would love to wear clothes that weren't made in a sweatshop, but I know I can't cut out tainted things in one day. I know that for me and my family, the choice to live responsibly will come slowly, gradually... and daily.
2 comments:
Simplicity - It's something I long for and have recently become more aware of what this means. I also want to eat from local restaurants and buy from local farmers. I want to support our local businesses even if it means spending a little more money.
However, when do you stop? When do you draw the line between choosing those type of stores and the cheep-o-mart?
I'm just beginning to think about this. I don't think I'll see the second film but I appreciate the perspective.
I know it does kind of seem a little overwhelming... obviously we can't worry about everything. I'm thinking of beginning really small...
but you know I love my Starbucks and the Gap.
Post a Comment