Sunday, May 13, 2007

RENT, RENT, RENT, RENT, RENT!




Got to love it. Lance and I saw RENT at the Paramount this weekend. It was fantastic. The performances of all but one of the main actors were superb (Maureen was played by an understudy). Their voices were soothing to my soul.

I am a late arrival as a RENT fan. It wasn't until the movie came out that I truly heard its story. In high school I remember there being a buzz about it, but I never really took the time to figure out what the buzz was about. I pretended like I thought it was cool... but when push came to shove and RENT first came through Seattle in '98, I didn't get tickets even though my best friend and her mom invited me to go with them. I wonder if I would have liked it then? I probably would have been really conflicted. Honestly, if I remember correctly, I heard that it had gay and lesbian couples in it and I think that made me nervous. Back then, I think I was trying to formulate my own opinions about the issue, but was scared because my religious culture was afraid of people who were gay. I had acquaintances at school that said they were bi and even one of my favorite aunts was in a homosexual relationship--and I was comfortable with them, because I knew them and loved them as people. I even spent time with my aunt and her partner and friends, but still this fear, I'm pretty sure, kept me from RENT back then. Really, I think it might have been the fear of what other Christians would think of me if I went to the play. Maybe I was afraid my parents wouldn't let me go. I don't really remember.

Anyways, this is supposed to be a post about RENT...

So, I love the story of RENT. It reminds me that every person displays pieces of the image of God. Throughout the story, this group of friends demonstrate sacrifice, compassion, creativity, joy, peace, patience, gratitude... and love. To me, the story in RENT is of people desiring to live out who they believe they were created to be--artists, lovers, musicians, and storytellers. They push the limits in life, taking risks which bring unexpected and some might say unfair consequences. They don't want to deal with the consequences... they don't want to pay the rent that is due for their choices. So they figure out how to live in the midst of their consequences. They live with AIDS, some as addicts, some in love with addicts. They live in terrible living conditions and without material things in order to pursue their art. They seek love from people who can't fulfill their ache. Even in the middle of their chaos, there is great beauty and pictures of redemption. Redemption that I believe is worth noting.

I love the story. I love the music. Most of all, I love the story behind the music.

My suggestion to anyone who might see the movie--only watch it if you have the time to watch the documentary under the special featurs on The Story Behind RENT. The story of Jonathan Larsen--that is what makes RENT so great. Without the background of his life and work, this is just a cool rock opera that glorifies risky behavior and tells a tale of a group of friends who care for the homeless. Once I knew the story of the creator and person behind RENT, I realized that the characters in the play were more than just people imagined, but embodied pieces of the author's friends. RENT just doesn't seem complete without knowing about Jonathan Larsen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hated the movie.