

The Strawberry Smoothie--Mudhouse Sabbath by Lauren Winner. She goes over 12 spiritual disciplines and discusses ways people seeking to follow Jesus could benefit from knowing more about Jewish disciplines and rhythms of life. The book is easy to read, really too easy... like when you are drinking a strawberry smoothie thinking this tastes too good to be healthy. It is a great weekend read or little nibble intro to spiritual disciplines, but Winner doesn't go deep at all. Not necessarily a bad thing, because sometimes we need something that goes down easy but reminds us of how good it feels to be healthy and strong.
The Broccoli--What is the What by Dave Eggers. A memoir/novel of a young man from Sudan. Vividly horrifying at times, playful and refreshing at others. It is incredibly insightful and interesting to hear the perspective of someone who is recreating life in the United States after experiencing civil war as a child. This book is work for me. I've had to reread sections to make sure I'm still following the author. I'm learning words--love that, politics and history. Most of all, I'm hearing someone's story--which although it is unique to the individual it is also the story of thousands of others who have gone through the same thing. Like broccoli, at times it tastes so good and other times you just eat it because it is healthy. Still you feel better afterwards.
No comments:
Post a Comment